George VIGARS moved to Guernsey from Podimore in Somerset in about 1820. He married Rosanna McCann there. After Rosanna died in 1837, and he remarried to Louisa MEARS.
George VIGARS ( 1798 - ? ) married 1. Rosanna McCANN and 2. Louisa MEARS
Children with Rosanna McCANN
- Agnetta VIGARS ( 1830 - 1917 ) m. William AGGETT ( 1829 - 1883 )
- Julia de Garis VIGARS ( 1832 - ? )
- Ann VIGARS ( 1832 - ? )
- Judith VIGARS ( 1833 - ? )
- Susannah VIGARS ( 1837 - ? )
- Edith VIGARS
Children with Louisa MEARS
- Louisa VIGARS ( 1840 - ? )
- Eliza VIGARS ( 1842 - ? )
- John Walter VIGARS ( 1844 - ? )
(Those in bold were butchers)
Earliest Mention in Guernsey
- In 1827, George claimed he had resided in Guernsey for 7 years (1827 Census)
- In 1874, George Vigars holds stall 33 (previously occupied by William HAMMOND).
- Despite residence in Guernsey since 1820, he does not appear in any other trade directories as a stall holder.
- St Peter Port (1827 Census)
- Longstore, St Peter Port (1841 Census)
- Les Banques, St Peter Port (1851 Census)
- Cornet Street, St Peter Port (1874 Trade Directory)
- AGGETT family history - Gordon Aggett's family history pages, includes the story of William Aggett & Agnetta (née Vigars), following their emigration to Australia.