George Taylor "of Minton, Dorset" married Sarah Green of Stratton, Dorset in the Town Church, St Peter Port in 1845. When he first arrived in the island, her worked for William HAMMOND, and was admitted to the Town Hospital in 1841. He is listed as Butcher in the 1851 census, however he actually ran an oyster shop in which he also sold offal. Due to the market regulations, it was forbidden to sell meat and offal in the same shop, so he was unable to fully operate as a butcher.
Two of his sons became butchers, Alfred and Theodore. Alfred's son George moved to Jersey and was a butcher there.
George TAYLOR ( 1817 - 1869 ) m 1. Sarah Ann GREEN ( 1822 - 1863 ) m 2. Jane HOWARD
- Sarah Ann Louise TAYLOR ( 1846 - 1865 )
- George Henry TAYLOR ( 1849 - 1869 )
- William Alfred TAYLOR ( 1850 - 1874 )
- Thomas Bennett TAYLOR ( 1852 - 1930 )
- Alfred John TAYLOR ( 1854 - 1918 ) m Mary Elizabeth LE HURAY
- Alfred G TAYLOR ( 1880 - 1918 )
- Ivy Mary TAYLOR ( 1883 - ? )
- William Henry TAYLOR ( 1885 - 1917 )
- George Henry TAYLOR ( 1887 - 1974 )
- Albert Ernest TAYLOR ( 1889 - ? )
- Edward Charles TAYLOR ( 1890 - ? )
- Florence Mary TAYLOR ( 1895 - ? )
- Arthur Edward TAYLOR ( 1897 - 1916 )
- Charles Frederick TAYLOR ( 1898 - ? )
- Edith Alexandra TAYLOR ( 1902 - ? )
- Matilda TAYLOR ( 1855 - ? )
- Theodore Frederick TAYLOR ( 1859 - ? ) m Mary ? ( 1862 - ? )
- Charlie TAYLOR ( 1895 - ? )
- Alfred TAYLOR ( 1899 - ? )
- Charles Frederick TAYLOR ( 1860 - ? )
(people in bold were butchers)
Earliest Mention in Guernsey
- George Taylor, employee of Mr HAMMOND, butcher, was admitted to the Town Hospital in 1841.
- There are no known stall holdings of the Taylor family in the Meat Market.
- George Taylor ran an oyster stall in the fish market at which he sold offal.
- George & Sarah lived at La Ramée in 1851, Bouet in 1861.
- In 1871, Alfred Taylor was living with Susan Holman at Tower Hill Steps. By 1881, he had married and was living at Ruette Braye. He then lived at Grouville in Jersey for a period, but was back in Guernsey, living in Hauteville in the 1901 census.
- Theodore was living with his widowed stepmother Jane at Burnt Lane in 1871, and they moved to Coutanchez by 1881. By 1901 he was married and working as a Butcher's Assistant and living at Salter Street.