John SHERWILL originated from North Huish, Devon, where he was born in 1836. His son, James Edgar, was born in Guernsey in 1860.
John Sherwill ( 1836 - ? ) married Elizabeth ?
- Albert H SHERWILL ( 1855 - ? ) m Mary ?
- James Edgar SHERWILL ( 1860 - ? ) married
Elizabeth Annie ROBERTS
- Ambrose SHERWILL ( 1890 - 1968 ) married May CLABBURN
- Francis G SHERWILL ( 1863 - ? )
- John E SHERWILL ( 1865 - ? )
Earliest Mention in Guernsey
- 1855, when Albert SHERWILL was born
- John Sherwill stallholder at Bridge, St Sampsons in 1874.
- John Sherwill, farmer and residence, Grand Bouet (1874 Directory)
- Sir Ambrose SHERWILL KBE MC served as an officer in the Buffs (Eat Kent Regiment) during WW1, and was President of the States of Guernsey Controlling Committee for the early part of the German Occupation of WW2, then deported to Germany as prisoner-of-war. In 1946, he returned to the island and became Bailiff of Guernsey. He was knighted in 1949.