John Read arrived in Guernsey some time between 1828 and 1839. He worked initially as a Butcher's Labourer, living in Park Lane, which means it was likely he worked for William HAMMOND. He lived in Guernsey until at least 1861, and had three children. His only George, became a Carpenter, rather than following in his father's footsteps.
Where they came from in England has not been ascertained.
John READ ( 1799 - ~1862) m Anne ?
- George READ ( 1826 - ? )
- Martha READ ( 1828 - ? )
- Selina READ ( 1839 - ? )
(people in bold were butchers)
Earliest Mention in Guernsey
- The birth of Selina READ in Guernsey in 1839.
- John READ was a Butcher's Labourer in 1841, and is registered as a Butcher in the 1851 and 1861 census - however, there is no record of him holding a stall or applying for his own Butcher's License in Guernsey.
- In 1841, Park Lane, St Peter Port - near William HAMMOND.
- In 1851, Pedvin Street, St Peter Port.
- In 1861, The Pollet, St Peter Port.