George Payne was a butcher from Ilchester in Somerset. He married Jane Cooper, the sister of Samuel Cooper (another butcher), from Sherborne in Dorset. They lived at the Coutanchez, St Peter Port.
George PAYNE ( 1814 - 1880 ) married Jane COOPER ( 1820 - ? )
- Robert Henry PAYNE ( 1842 - ? )
Thomas PAYNE ( 1820 - ? )
(those in bold were butchers)
Earliest Mention in Guernsey
- 1842 - birth of son, Robert Henry.
- George Payne holds stall 9 in 1845. By 1861, he has moved to stall 6. By 1874, he is in partnership with Samuel COOPER, occupying stalls 15-16.
- In 1841, George and Jane lived at Allez Street, St Peter Port (1841 Census), and Thomas lived with Samuel COOPER.
- From 1851 to 1871, George and Jane were living at Les Coutanchez, St Peter Port (Census), next door to Samuel COOPER.
- In 1881, Jane, a widow, and son Robert, are still living at Les Coutanchez.