William Panchen was born in Bridport, Dorset, and arrived in Guernsey in about 1885 with his wife Sarah. He was granted a butcher's licence in 1888 and worked in the Guernsey meat market until at least 1911.
William PANCHEN ( 1858 - 1925) m. Sarah Elizabeth HARRY ( 1854 - 1944 )
- Edith Mary PANCHEN ( 1880 - ? )
- Wilfred George PANCHEN ( 1885 - 1953 )
- William Henry PANCHEN ( 1887 - ? )
- Ethel PANCHEN ( 1891 - ? )
- Frederick PANCHEN ( 1895 - ? )
- Edith PANCHEN ( 1898 - ? ) m. William KENDALL-TOBIAS
(Those in bold were butchers)
Earliest Mention in Guernsey
- Birth of Wilfred George Panchen in Guernsey in 1885.
- William Panchen successfully applied for a butcher's licence in 1888, and was allocated stall 16.
- The family were living at Mount Row, St Peter Port 1891, 1901 and 1911 census
- William Panchen returned to England, where he settled in Bedford as a Cattle Dealer in the 1920s. He died in Wolstanton, Staffordshire in 1925. None of his children became butchers.