Charles Marsh was born in South Petherton, Somerset and married Rosetta Coombs in Sherborne, Dorset. Together they settled in Guernsey during the 1840s. Although Charles held a stall in the meat market, they eventually settled at Le Bourg in the Forest parish - about as far as you could get from Town, and quite a long journey in those days.
Charles MARSH ( 1818 - ? ) m Rosetta COOMBS ( 1820 - ? )
- Jane Ann MARSH ( 1842 - ? )
- Elizabeth MARSH ( 1847 - ? )
- William H Charles MARSH ( 1849 - ? )
- Clara MARSH ( 1862 - ? )
(people in bold were butchers)
Earliest Mention in Guernsey
- In 1847, the birth of their daughter, Elizabeth.
- In 1857, Charles Marsh held stall 30 in the Town Market.
- In 1874, Charles had moved to stall 7, and his son occupied stall 29.
- Pleinheaume, St Sampsons (1851 census)
- La Villette, St Martins (1861 census)
- Le Bourg, Forest (1874 directory & 1881 census)