I have come across two Male butchers in Guernsey - Stephen and Philip - both from Kingsbury Episcopi in Somerset, and both arrived in Guernsey in around 1813. However, I have not yet managed to verify the relationship between them through the Kingsbury baptisms register.
Stephen MALE married 1. Elizabeth MORDAUNT (1775 - 1806) & 2. Judith GOULD (1790 - 1868)
- Maria MALE (1809 - ?)
- Frederick MALE (1811 - ?)
- Osmond MALE (1813 - ?)
- Mary Charlotte MALE ( 1822 - ? ) married
Joseph Copplestone ROBINS
- William Thomas ROBINS married Mary Gould MALE
- Thomas Gould ROBINS (1838 - ?) m Ada COX
- Louisa Martha MALE (1817 - ?)
- Peter Thomas MALE ( 1820 - ? ) married
Julianna de Jersey BONNELL
- Mary Gould MALE married William Thomas ROBINS
Philip MALE (1785 - ?) married 1. Anne RUSSELL 2. Elizabeth BIRT 3. Elizabeth BULLEN (1801 - ?)
- Samuel MALE (1812 - 1861) m Amelia RICKETTS
- Alfred John MALE (1836 - ?)
- William MALE
- Emilia MALE(1813 - ?)
- Eliza MALE (1815 - ?)
- Henry MALE (1820 - ?)
- Charlotte MALE (1822 - ?)
- William George MALE (1829 - 1861)
- Abraham Coles MALE (1832 - ?)
(people in bold were butchers)
Earliest Mention in Guernsey
- In 1820, Stephen Male was one of 33 Guernsey butchers who signed a petition to the Privy Council, urging them to approve the construction of the new market building.
- In 1827, Philip Male gave his place of origin as Kingsbury, Somerset, and said he had lived in Guernsey for 20 years.
- In 1826, Stephen MALE holds stall 22 in Town Meat Market (1826 Commercial Directory).
- By 1845, it is held by Mrs Male.
- Samuel Male holds stall 22 in 1857 and 1861.
- 14 New Street, St Peter Port (1851 Census)
- MALE Family Gatherings - web site dedicated to the history of the Male family of Somerset.
- MALE family of Barrington, Fivehead, Kingbury Episcopi, - from the website of Sarah Hawkins