Robert Libby was born in St Austell, Cornwall to Robert & Mary Libby. He trained as a butcher in Cornwall, and married Elizabeth Vercoe in 1818, where they raised a family. In the 1840s they emigrated to Guernsey and settled in St Sampsons, where Robert became one of the few butchers to hold a butcher's stall in St Sampsons as well as the Town Meat Market.
Robert's younger son, Robert junior followed him into the meat trade. Robert junior left Guernsey with his family in the 1880s, where they settled first in Wales, before emigrating to America, where they settled in Georgia.
Robert LIBBY ( 1802 - 1869 ) married Elizabeth VERCOE ( 1799 - ? )
- Edwin LIBBY ( 1820 - 1855 ) m Anne Collings REEVES ( 1819 - 1864 )
- William Edwin Falla LIBBY ( 1851 - 1935 )
- Anne Maria Parker LIBBY ( 1859 - ? )
- Lily Henrietta Leonora LIBBY ( 1860 - ? )
(people in bold were butchers)
Earliest Mention in Guernsey
- 1851 Census living at Queen's Street, St Sampsons
- Between 1855 and 1866, Robert Libby held Stall 2 in Leadenhall Meat Market, St Peter Port and Queen Street, St Sampsons
- In 1851, Queen's Street, St Sampsons
- In 1861, Bridge, St Sampsons
- Robert Libby junior married in 1858 and moved to Elm Grove, St Peter Port
- In 1871, Robert junior was living in Brock Road, St Sampsons
- By 1881, Robert junior was living in Swansea, Glamorgan, before emigrating to America in August of that year