- Silas Gartell was the son of Thomas Gartell and Anastasia Ridout. He was born in Caundle Stourton, Dorset, where he was working as a butcher by the age of 19. In about 1859 he took his family first to St Brelade in Jersey, and from there they settled in Guernsey by 1871. Some time after this date, Silas gave up the meat trade and became a gardener.
Silas GARTELL ( 1832 - 1902 ) married Elizabeth Sarah BURGESS ( 1830 - ? )
- Thomas GARTELL ( 1855 - ? )
- Mary M GARTELL (1858 - ? )
- Henry GARTELL ( 1860 - ? )
- James B GARTELL ( 1871 - ? )
- William GARTELL ( 1875 - ? )
(people in bold were butchers)
Earliest Mention in Guernsey
- Birth of son James Gartell in 1871
- There is no record of him holding a butcher's stall in the Guernsey meat market.
- In 1861, Silas and family were living at Noirmont Vingtaine, St Brelade, Jersey
- In 1871, they lived at Le Villocq, Castel, Guernsey
- From 1881 through to Silas' death in 1902, they lived in the Rohais area of St Andrews.