At the marriage of James BASKFILL and Ann GARDNER in St Peter Port in 1795, Ann was said to be the daughter of Samuel GARDNER of Lyme, Dorset. She was in fact the daughter of Samuel GARDNER and Rosanna VINCENT (?-1815) of Uplyme in Devon.
It is not clear precisely when Samuel and Rosanna migrated to Guernsey, but it would have been some time between the birth of their son William in Uplyme in 1784 and the marriage of their eldest daughter Ann in Guernsey in 1795. In 1783 they were returned to Uplyme, their home parish, by the overseers of the poor for Lyme Regis - so they must have hit hard times there - which may explain why they emigrated to Guernsey.
Samuel GARDNER married Rosanna VINCENT
- Frances GARDNER ( 1775 - ? )
- Ann GARDNER ( 1777 - 1858 ) married James BASKFILL ( 1765 - 1835 )
- Sylvia GARDNER ( 1779 - ? ) married Oliver BARBER
- John GARDNER ( 1782 - 1837 ) married Ann
CAIRE ( 1782 - 1856 )
- John Baskfill GARDNER
( 1805 - 1887 ) married Elizabeth WEBBER
- Louise Marguerite GARDNER ( 1828 - ? ) married John LE CHEMINANT
- John GARDNER ( 1830 - 1892 ) married Caroline SIMON ( 1834 - ? )
- John GARDNER ( 1861 - ? )
- Kate GARDNER ( 1864 - ? ) m Thomas ALDRIDGE
- William GARDNER ( 1832 - 1837 )
- Robert Jeremiah GARDNER ( 1834 - 1835 )
- James GARDNER ( 1835 - ? )
- Anthony Vincent GARDNER ( 1837 - 1902 ) married Mary DEWEY
- Elizabeth GARDNER ( 1839 - ? )
- Catherine GARDNER ( 1841 - ? )
- Robert GARDNER ( 1807 - ? )
- Elouisa Collier GARDNER ( 1808 - 1892 ) married George TOUZEAU
- Marie Lowther GARDNER ( 1810 - 1862 ) married John James HODDER
- Antoine Vincent GARDNER ( 1813 - 1814 )
- William Vincent GARDNER ( 1815 - ? )
- Anne GARDNER ( 1817 - 1846 ) married John LE CHEMINANT
- Marie Louise GARDNER ( 1820 - 1839 )
- Samuel Albert GARDNER ( 1820 - 1847 ) m Mary HAWKER
- Elizabeth Ann GARDNER ( 1844 - ? ) m William ALDRIDGE ( 1839 - ? )
- James Peter GARDNER
( 1821 - 1895 ) married Hannah Mary VAUDIN
- Hannah GARDNER ( 1849 - ? )
- Elvina GARDNER ( 1850 - ? )
- Albert GARDNER ( 1854 - ? )
- Alice GARDNER ( 1855 - ? )
- Amy GARDNER ( 1861 - ? )
- Florence GARDNER ( 1864 - ? )
- Mary McPherson GARDNER ( 1823 - 1841 )
- John Baskfill GARDNER ( 1805 - 1887 ) married Elizabeth WEBBER
- William GARDNER ( 1784 - ? ) married Jane CLARKE
(Those in bold were butchers)
Earliest Mention in Guernsey
- Marriage of James BASKFILL and Ann GARDNER in 1795 (see above)
- In 1820, John and James GARDNER were among 33 Guernsey butchers who signed a petition to the Privy Council, urging them to approve the construction of the new market building.
- In 1826, John GARNER senior, holds stall 5, and John GARDNER junior holds stall 32 (1826 Commercial Directory).
- Mrs (Ann) Gardner holds Stall 5 in 1845. After her death in 1856, this stall was taken over by her son James Peter Gardner.
- Albert Gardner holds Stall 12 in 1845. By 1861, Albert had moved to Stall 7.
- John Gardner holds Stalls 35-36 in 1845. He was still running both stalls in 1857, in 1861 and in 1870. By 1882, the two stalls have changed to numbers 36-37. John died in 1887, at which point one of the stalls is taken over by his son, and the other is reallocated.
- The Gardners were one of only three butchers families to be allocated more than one stall in the meat market, along with the HAMMOND and FOOTE families.
- By 1861, John Gardner junior also has his own stall - number 9 which he holds up until 1891 when he takes over one of his father's stalls. John junior died in 1892.
- John senior's two other sons appear as apprentice butchers in the 1851 Census.
- Ann & family : St George Street, St Peter Port (1841 Census)
- Ann : 6 Mill Street, St Peter Port (1851 Census)
- John B : 32 Mansell Street, St Peter Port (1851 Census)
- James P : Charroterie, St Peter Port (1851 Census)
- Albert : not found
- Uplyme, Devon - the origin of the Gardner family