OriginJames Northover Draper was born in Toldpuddle, Dorset. He is initially recorded as a Butcher when he first arrives in Guernsey, although by the time he successfully applied for his own license for a stall in the Meat Market, he also has a Farm of 8 acres in Les Genats, Castel.
James Northover DRAPER ( 1801 - 1885 ) married
- 1. Emilia WILLIS ( 1812 - 1838 )
- 2. Elizabeth SKINNER ( 1805 - 1871 )
- 3. Anna Maria MANNING ( 1833 - ? ) dau of James Luscombe MANNING ( 1809 - 1875 )
(people in bold were butchers)
Earliest Mention in Guernsey
- In 1836, when James married his first wife Emilia in the Town Church.
- James applied for a butcher's license in 1862, and held stall 14 in the Town Meat Market until his death in 1885.
- Ater his death, his third wife, Anna Maria, took over his stall.
- James and Elizabeth were living at St John Street, St Peter Port in 1841.
- From 1851 to 1871 censuses, they were living at Caguerre, Les Genats, Castel, where James is also described as a Farmer of 8 acres.
- By 1874, they had moved back to Town, living at St Johns St in 1874, and the Pollet between 1881 and 1885.
- After James death, Anna moved to a flat in St Julian's Avenue.